Monday, November 19, 2018

Vappa was Enlightened


Suffering and joy we experience are the fruits of seeds planted by us in our past.  Nonetheless the bountiful of fruits depends on present condition.
When condition changes the amount of fruits of seeds planted in the past changes. 
We are governed by condition and hence the suffering and joy we experience depend on present condition.  
The extent to which we adapt to present condition determines the extent of suffering or joy we were destined to experience. 
Buddha is present within the span of our mind.  Buddha is intrinsically present in our mind in the form of unsullied awakened mind ever generating right thought and volition for right action. 
Our mind is the door to all realms of life and the bridge across the ocean of suffering.  Those who know where the doors are do not worry about going and those who know where the bridge is do not worry about crossing.
Introspect, your nature.  It is in your nature you will find Buddha Nature.  One who knows and embraces Buddha Nature becomes Buddha. 
Being aware of one’s own nature means being enlightened and being unaware means being ignorance living a life in delusion subservient to countless evils.
Our mind breeds good and evil and the war between the two ever continues.  One who engages in the war never wins the war.  One who knows it, disengages from the war and prevents evils arising in the mind.  
Unsatisfactoriness is our worldly nature caused by ignorance due to being attracted or averted to the sense object. 
See things as they are neither attracted to nor averted from and be contended with what you are and what you have. 
Call on your mind with unbroken thoughts for virtues, and open the door for awareness.  Be aware and generate volition for righteousness. 
These are the sublime words of Buddha.
One day Lord Buddha told Vappa that he would be enlightened soon. 
Vappa in doubt said, “If what you tell me is true, I would feel something, but I don’t.”
Lord Buddha says, “Vappa, when you dig a well, there is no sign of water until you reach it having removed rocks and dirt out of the way.  You have removed enough and soon the pure water will flow.”
Vappa said, “It will never happen.  Do not fill me with false hope.”
Lord Buddha says, “I am not offering hope.  Your karma brought you to me.  I see that you will soon be awake.”
Burst in thoughts, Vappa says, “Then why do I have so many impure thoughts?
I should go away from here.  You say there is no war between good and evil, but I feel it inside.
I feel how good you are, and it only makes me feel worse.”
Lord Buddha says, “Vappa, I can see that you are at war inside.  But believe me when I say that you will never win.”
Vappa said, “I know that.  So I must go?”
Lord Buddha says, “No Vappa, you did not understand me.  I am saying no one has ever won the war and no one will ever win it.  Do not engage in war which never could be won. 
Good and evil are built into the eternal scheme of nature and suffering is a fixed part of life.”
Vappa argues saying, “But you won.  You are good; I feel it.”
Lord Buddha says, “Vappa, listen, I did not win the war either.  I simply disengaged myself from the war.
When I was no longer engaged in war, my attention could go far beyond good and evil.  I saw who I really am.  
I saw the nature of mind where both good and evil thoughts being evolved and dissolved. 
I asked myself: Who is watching what is happening in mind and who is watching the war between the good and evil?  And who is that who is content in simply being?
Vappa!  You too have felt the peace of simply being.  Wake up to that, and join me in simply being. 
Be aware, discern what is good and right, and cherish the peace in simply being.”
There arose awareness in Vappa and saw things as it is and was enlightened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment